UCC History & Polity ONLINE with Rev. John Thomas
Posted: November 22nd, 2013
History and Polity of the United Church of Christ will be offered in a fully online format from February 3 – May 16, 2014. Additionally, the course will be taught in face-to-face format the week of January 13-17, 2014. The January intensive meets Monday through Friday, 9-5 at CTS.
This course is a study of the history, structure, theology and practices of the United Church of Christ, including its antecedents: the Congregational Christian Churches and the Evangelical and Reformed Church. The course satisfies, with Committee on Ministry approval, current UCC requirements for ordination and privilege of call.
This course is particularly appropriate for:
- Students who are attending seminaries where UCC History, Theology and Polity courses are not available
- Persons seeking privilege of call who do not live near a seminary where a UCC History, Theology and Polity course is offered
- Pastors from the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and pastors holding dual standing in the UCC and another denomination
- Persons exploring becoming part of the UCC
- Regular M.Div. students in UCC related seminaries
- Persons seeking licensure in the UCC
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR:
John H. Thomas is currently the Senior Advisor to the President and Visiting Professor in Church Ministries at Chicago Theological Seminary. Rev. Thomas served at General Minister and President of the United Church of Christ from 1999 to 2009. Rev. Thomas served as a local church minister for 16 years prior to his work in the UCC national offices beginning in 1992.
YOU MAY REGISTER IN TWO WAYS:
1) For seminary credit as part of a degree program at CTS or at a seminary that will accept CTS coursework or credit. Seminary credit requires application as a Distance Scholar. This requires a $50 application fee and official transcripts.
2) As an auditor, for those who do not need graduate level seminary credit. Auditing is appropriate for persons fulfilling ordination/privilege of call/licensure requirements in the United Church of Christ with Association Committee approval. At the conclusion of the course, the instructor will provide a certificate of successful completion to you and your Association Committee. Auditing requires enrolling in the course and does not require admission to the seminary. A certificate assumes successful completion of all course requirements including the final project.
Follow this link to register for credit OR as an auditor
Tuition for the January face-to-face intensive for credit is $1,821. Cost to audit is $501. Tuition for the online format is $1,821 plus $280 in fees. Cost to audit the online class is $699. You may pay by check made out to CTS, or by credit card by calling (773) 896-2440. Tuition must be paid in full prior to the first day of class.
The deadline to apply as a Distance Scholar is December 17, 2013. By this date we must receive your application, $50 fee and official transcripts.
The deadline to enroll as an Auditor is January 10, 2013.
But don’t wait – space is limited in this course.